Almost – but not quite

It’s Saturday, the sun is shining, tides are right time for the first sail of the season …. or so you’d think.

The trip too Capella was eventful, first the battery powering the electric outboard finally gave up any pretence of being useful. We started rowing the last few hundred metres, and then 10m from Capella a rowlock comes unattached from the dinghy. Basically the screws pulled out of the wood and fortunately fell into the boat.

So we get on the boat and unload and set about repairing the rowlocks, when Tall Fred give us a shout – have we got a dinghy and can we sort out a mooring line on Jezebel, a few boats along the trot moorings. So I quickly find some screws and screw the rowlock back on and work me way down the trot and sort out the rope wrapped around the rudder (which would possibly break it).

That sorted I go back to the mother ship where Wifey has been tidying, but can’t put some of the stuff away as the draws are stuck, they really really don’t want to move. So I remove the whole carcass and eventually we get them out and realise that I had put the carcass back upside down when servicing the engine.

By now the wind had picked up – too strong for a first sail really so we set about some of the other odd jobs. I’d bought new top guard rails, but only measure one side and the other was too long. Easiest option was to cut the end off and add a new swageless fitting on the end. That took 3 attempts as there were no instructions, but finally sorted it out.

The a picnic to build up the energy for the long row back against the tide, bad enough but my right elbow developed a cramp like pain and tingling in the fingers. (Not seen a quack yet but the internet thinks it might be cubital tunnel syndrome.)

First stop on the way home was Halford to pick up an new 70ah leisure battery, for another attempt at a first sail tomorrow.